Saturday, September 11, 2010

What is Plodding anyway?

I guess when I think of "plodding" I think first and foremost of walking with some burden that is slowing me down. Please understand...that is the farthest from what I mean by "plodding."

Jesus made it clear that His yoke is easy and His burden is light. So, if walking under a burden is not what I mean, what else could it mean?

Another technical definition is "to work with constant and monotonous perseverance." I guess that is where I am right now. For years now, I have been in a struggle with the direction our church has taken for ministering to its youth. So, my response has been to "plod" along content to be an alternative in ministering to our youth in the context of families for the past decade or so realizing that from time to time there will be a butting of heads with those on staff for bucking the system.

Now, the friction seems to be growing as our church leadership is now heading in a direction that falls in line with what the youth has been doing. So what does it look like to "plod" or "persevere" when you feel as if the next comment you make defending your decade-long philosophy of ministry may very well produce a response that will feel like sandpaper being rubbed across your forehead? (And I have a LARGE forehead!)

At what point does your "plodding" lead you to take a different road? I'd love to hear some responses to this.

No comments:

Post a Comment